I was disappointed that i didn't get a chance to jog around Key West. The problem of course was, even had I more time and were not exhausted from lack of sleep, I neglected to pack sneakers. (you win again, brain) I don't understand why I run. I do not compete and never did, yet forever there is that burn to go farther and faster. I tried to run yesterday, but after my week long road trip- essentially a full-week diet of refined sugars and empty carbohydrates known as fast food, my body revolted and put down the idea. Last week it was different. Last week it looked something like this:
Mile zero:
My best runs often start out the most painful. Joints and muscles are sore and tight, likely from some combination of last night's drinking and the week's various other work-outs. If I'm feeling overly spry I'll push too hard early and it will turn into a shorter, speed building workout. I'm going to need some mindless power music like AC/DC's "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" or Jay Z, "Justify My Thug."
Mile two:
{cough}{cough}{phlem}{spit} This is where i start to shake of the stiffness and find a rhythm; Breathing has slowed. For me distance runs are spun by stacking together as many 10-minute miles as possible, while speed runs are typically half the distance and should combine to approximately 8-minute miles averaged between periods of sprinting and trotting. I have to keep in mind that "Rochester Hills" is NOT just a clever name and 5 - 10% grades are as common as self-conscious teenagers cruising town in Daddy's Escalade and there are almost no truly flat spots. Lora Branigan's "Self Control" with White Rose Movement's "Love is a Number" on deck
Mile Four:
Side step the pavement for the rutty, lumpy, root-filled grass. Ankles that don't roll or sprain will become stronger. I find myself in a series of peaks and valleys, hitting the wall and finding a wind. I feel strong now and want to run faster but need to smooth out the sinusoidal: slower now, faster later. A feeling of invincibility needs a soundtrack: Animotion, "Obsession," Pantera "I'm Broken."
Mile six
I'm not overly familiar with the area I'm running through but the first path turned out to be about 5.5 miles, onto which I built in small increments. I don't know it yet, but the deviation in path I've taken today will put me back at my apartment in about 8.9 miles, which will be a new high this season. {nod to the hot chick on roller blades, direct her back to the early 90's} It turns out that the most painful run is not the one that eclipses all previous, but instead the one where you try to match for the first time, that personal best which has already been achieved. I'm not sure why, but it seems to make sense. This is like the calm before the storm. Covenant, "Like Tears in the Rain."
Mile eight
Here comes the pain. I may be reduced to a trot by the time i get to the top of the hill by the nature reserve. Walking is like surrendering, which means I'll try to slow-trot three miles before being reduced to walking 3 steps. (this does not always work). Over the course I'll have descended a sum of ~1000feet which will have to be ascended again. There may be a lot of grunting involved. Occasionally I'll lift my head to find I'm precariously close to a deer or raccoon or something of the sort. I'll need a psychological boost from the likes of Alan Silvestri's "Delta Force Theme," Joe Eposito's "You're the Best" (Karate Kid S.T.) and
Home stretch
I would be able to see my back door from here, were it not obscured by two big ass hills. {Off with the shirt: 4 parts aid in evaporation/1 part show off the goods} Every time I'll try to sprint this distance but almost always fade away on the second climb. If I've eaten well that week and I've kept up on the training and I took my vitamins and I said my prayers I can dig in and get it done: to the top of the hill, under the trees, over the lawn and across the apartment parking lot to my back door. "Training Montage" Song from the Rocky IV soundtack.
K'S Choice: Not an Addict
Pull of the i-pod and walk in circles to cool down. The silence of the world combined with the ringing in my ears (likely caused by the sudden jump in blood pressure) is deafening. I must eat and then rest, for there is much to be done if I'm to achieve 10 miles next week... though I'm not exactly sure why.
5 comments:
I thought "trotting" was something horses do?!?!
So you are back home now... that means you are in a position to send me my fix?!?!
Operation sabotage to commence at undisclosed time... the fiat is sleeping outside my house right now...
I'll work on it very soon.
(why do women keep comparing me to a horse?)
Probably because you keep pooping anywhere you want.
You bastards have me laughing here by myself! That is why I like reading your comments so much!
Reading all your blogs often results in me sitting in my room giggling all to myself - my neighbor, who can hear through one of my walls, must think I'm a little crazy.
Post a Comment