Wednesday, January 25, 2006

here we go again

a lot of automotive folk found out monday that they were getting canned in the short future; it was news that one couldn't escape for three days in these parts, and now has sipped into obscurity along with the fact that sweden has vowed to be completely fossil fuel free by 2020. (google it; i don't have the energy to link)

Well now i must break my short lived vow of not trying to figure things out in a public forum-type setting. As the voice of the masses carries so far, i couldn't block out the common themed cries about "fat cat auto execs" that take million dollar bonuses while the company is "selling out the working man."

[sigh]

no one ever mentions that the "working man" in this case can easily make upwards of 100K a year with OT. I think people are afraid to state the obvious, which is these jobs are based on a legacy of low-skilled people performing repetitive tasks for what probably amounts to some 5 hours a day. Do you understand what i'm saying? Sure, maybe half those workers are real "hands on type" people, but the other half aren't even familiar with basic hand tools, which wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so god damned cocky about their jobs and such.

Likewise, why should anybody, executive or otherwise, volunteer self inflicted pay cuts at company A, when company B, C and D are paying the going rate for the work they're qualified for? I think the red-states will agree with me when i say nothing's more american than leaving a perfectly good job for one that pays slightly more money.

I've decided that when i look out onto the city of detroit, it's not unlike staring at one of those 3D posters. If you focus too closely, you'll go insane trying to count the squiggles. If you let things get to hazy, you might as well be in a drunken stupor. You have to find just the right amount of focus. (of course, those 3D posters never worked for me and i suspect everyone who claims to see the sail boat is a lying fuck)

Being a battery engineer, today i stopped a finished car going out the plant door, so i could use it to test-run a battery charger. When i opened the hood, i noticed that the screws meant to hold in one of the head lights were sitting in the holes but completely unfastened. The freakin light could have fallen off the car at any time. I asked the repair guy if he was going to report it and he said "what's the point?"

What's the point indeed

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least the auto industry isn't trying to get into the nuclear reactor buisness!

I think sweeden is going to win! There are different stratagies for survival when it comes to energy. One is to own all the oil and thus be the last civilization left when everyone else goes tits up...(our stratigy) another is to take your self out of that game entirely so that when the oil runs out it shouldn't affect you to much... (Sweaden)

kodjo said...

I'd go on about where our country could be right now if we'd invested the billions of dollars we've spent on our war in alternative energy sources instead, but I'd just be preaching to the choir. I did write my representative with these thoughts, though.

Anonymous said...

Not that I am saying war is good, but throwing money at something doesn't always make it go faster. Did anyone read that article about the intelligence of recent college grads? How can you expect us to figure out fuel cells when college grads can't even tell the credit card company is ripping them off? Money will not fix that problem. It is the same as the 100k auto workers. No one wants to work anymore.

kodjo said...

I did read that article. It made me disappointed until I realized I have the advantage over all those dimwits.

Throwing money at a problem is not the same as investing in a solution. For example, much research (including my own) is funded in part through agencies like the NSF, which had its funding reduced this year.

Anonymous said...

Well, the article on dumb students was based on statistics... It is imposible to tell how they set up thier research and if they set it up to show what it did.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I think the sophist doesn't have access to his web page while he is at work... this means that right now all of us can hijack his blog and run away with it!

kodjo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kodjo said...

I win the pri-ize, I win the pri-ize... *continues to dance euphorically with lots of butt wiggling*

If the trophy is the .pdf you sent notorious, I'll just check out his copy.

Anonymous said...

true, reduced funding is not good, but neither is the reduced brain power. i fear people are to ignorant to realize oil is a limited resource. "they make it right there at the gas station, dont they?" I still think conservation could go a long way to help the problem, along with sophist researching the next fuel cell. I mean if a conservative like me can see the light, anyone can if they are willing to learn.

and i do concur that it is nice to know I have a leg up on most of the competion out there.

amateur.sophist said...

but what if oil is indeed limitless as it very well may be? then what? continue invading cuntries (Quamire, ins't there an 'o' in country? no.) to keep the prices we're used to and burning carbon based fuels for energy in leu of stupid amounts of data that points to an inevitable cluster fuck?

because i'll shine up the shotty and loot up the quick-y mart right now. i like to think that as a team player, i'm accepting of all possible life scenarios. Notorious, hand me the slugs.

amateur.sophist said...

oh, my password was "seuxa"

i think the randomly generated internet is hitting on me