Wednesday, August 10, 2005

tastes like burning

I work in detroit.

Every person in south east michigan has at some point in their life, to simplify the mental geography of another, has claimed to "live/work in detroit" but i am blessed to be one of the few that actually lives or works within the city limits.


(detroit train station- well ventilated)

I'm being facetious.

No body is blessed in this city. Detroit is easily the most blown-out, blight-ridden, decayed, over-grown and hopeless-for-recovery of all the major cities of the U.S. Fuck "over there," this is a third word country. I'm convinced that every person who has business in this city is tied down by some force out of their control; Be it family, work or a missing limb.



My office is on a fairly major road and i travel approximately 2 miles on that road, between the building and the freeway i take to get there. There's at least a dozen boarded-up, abandoned, or empty building on that stretch. This includes a former car wash, former grocery store, former fast food restaurant and several other "former" buildings all nicely mixed in between the several bars (at least one of the strip variety), day care and McDonald's that remain. Keep in mind, I work at a major office (read: thousands of employees) and we're surrounded by ghetto. I'm talking walking skeletons with bad hair and broken sunglasses wondering the streets- ghetto.

The strangest part is, people from Detroit don't really understand how bad it is. I mean, again, no one is FROM Detroit, just the suburbs. And everyone knows you shouldn't go into the city, lest you be filming robot-cop III. But it's just accepted as... Detroit. Yet, today, i was listening to an Iranian and a French-Canadian discuss their impressions of the city and it was like they had landed on the moon. It was a joke here to them; there's nothing to do and no place to go.

I'm sick of this topic. I'm moving to Colorado.

Note: There are many websites dealing with "detroit urban exploring" in the many abandoned Detroit structures
http://forgottenmichigan.com/gallery/AdamsTheater
http://forgottenmichigan.com/gallery/UE
http://www.detroitblog.org/index.php?paged=3

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, those pictures make me sick. They look like a clean wet version of Baghdad. The weird thing is that there is more hope for Baghdad because people care enough to blow it up. I walk around here and think, "Man I wish I could have gotten to see this place before it was all blown to shit... I look at the pictures of Detroit and think the same thing.

amateur.sophist said...

served by Chest Rockwell again!

DAMMIT!!

if i was a priest and/or had a daughter, god i'd HATE that Chestocrates...

Anonymous said...

My new fave detoit ruins site is detoitfunk.com