Monday, July 04, 2005

"peace be with you, yuppie-scum bastard"

I spent the weekend in Suttons Bay, attending a wedding in a highly affluent little peninsula just north of Traverse City. It's been a long time since we played the "out of ten" game and since I'm lazy about typing and think myself a pretty darn funny guy, here we go:

Crazy, old, gay, New York Playwright, Uncle of the groom embarrassing bride by naming her old boyfriends as part of rambling but very comedic reception half-time speech: 8/10

Catholic mass wedding ceremony: 0/10

Drinking champaign in your hotel room out of plastic hotel cups: 7/10

Letting the champaign work it's bubbly magic: 9/10

Live R&B/Mo-Town Band of black men in shiny suits entertaining an all-white reception with uber-hits like Will Smith's "miami" and "Too Close" by... is it Next? Anyway: 10/10

7ft tall basketball player for Serbian Basketball League attending wedding, insisting Darko "good player, not respected by coach:" 5/10

Live fireworks: 1/10

Andrew's assessment of my role in life (see title): 2/10

My assessment of owning a sailboat: 10/10

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes! Those must have been the lames fireworks in the history of human kind! By my calculations... just lighting a match and throwing it on the ground gets at least a 1/10 rating.

Sailboats! I have done quite a bit of research in that department. That is how I am planning to disassosiate my self from humanity when civilization falls, 2012-2017. (approximate dates) I plan on leaving the masses on the shore as I take to the sea! If you are interested, I can let you know some of the stuff I have found. We could start a small flotilla! Mutual support, greater firepower against pirates, etc. Let me know.

As for you being a "yuppie-scum bastard"... we all have our roles. I hope you find yours as fulfilling as I have found "cog in imperial war machine" to be.

Anonymous said...

I promise next time we let the champagne work it's bubbly magic, I won't be so sunburned that I can't function, resulting in only a 9/10

riding the bullet train to skin cancer,
h

amateur.sophist said...

I can never remember a time when i've been interested in watching large fireworks displays from a distance, other than possible the fireworks after Tiger's Games, but that's because they're so close you can taste em.

I like putting the fire to the wick myself.

Anonymous said...

Not gonna touch it.

amateur.sophist said...

and with a wipe of the rag the anonymous foreigner is gone forever.

I'm just like the government. Only not as funny.

Anonymous said...

You are especially not funny when you erase hilarious funny comments... You fail

amateur.sophist said...

i wonder, to myself, why every-time a bad anonymous comment shows up here, my page is hit from a .mil (as in "dot u.s. military") server/provider?

Anonymous said...

shit... I am going to have to start using state department computers.