Tuesday, July 12, 2005

hello little robot buddy

in college i built a robot insect. It's a beetle looking device that fits easily in the palm of one's hand but would be difficult to balance on anything less than three fingers. The bug, who is nameless, is solar powered by two cells that cover his back. he has two antenna on front that keep him off the walls and two eyes to direct him towards light. As my desk at work is void of all personal objects, i brought the little guy in to keep me company. unfortunately there's not nearly enough ambient light to charge his capacitor and trigger his activation voltage. Likewise, my florescent desk lamp is weak and diffused, so the creature sits motionless. I wait and look on, hoping the poor creature will evolve, buy everyday i come in and everyday it has not moved. In the mean time, I'll be taking recommendations for names.

4 comments:

Munky Stephens said...

I would be a lot more inspired to leave a name if I could see a picture of your insecticon friend. Hmm...on second thought, I'll just suggest the name "Insecticon" for now and wait for a picture (and some beer) to provide further inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps your little buddy need a little help in the evolution department. I am sure that there are more advanced photoelectric cells that are being produced now than when you built hime... Perhaps with a little help from your "Shit this is still plugged in" soidering iron, you can help your Insectokon adapt to his new environment.

Anonymous said...

I would go with ralph.

But if we are talking about your creations, what ever happened to the perpetual motion machine?

And on a sadder creation note, I learned this weekend the bar in Houghton was disassembled....but your t-shirt is still hanging from the ceiling.

Anonymous said...

Why would anyone do that? That makes no sence at all! That is the memorial to my greatest personal defeat. I lost a Hell of a drinking contest at that bar to the A.Sophist... I only remember everclear, moonshine, and flogging molly...