Friday, November 12, 2010

Truck update

Though undocumented, i have been putting a tiny amount of time and money into the ratty rat truck. (Or as some call her, "El Burrito.") It doesn't have much interior, which is how i like it, but I did miss having a light in the cab. So i decided to build a rat rod appropriate LED light using the rear dome from an old bicycle light.



Departing from the norm, I decided to use small, low power LEDs rather than the usual face-melting monster lights that would require fans and heat management and all that noise. Simple components with a nice cap on to add the fancy "Dimming" effect that seems to be all the rage in them cars from this generation.



Then i built a bend arm using a ball-and-lock jiggy from one of those "helping hands" project holders. And because the truck has no head liner, I'm an aspiring weld-master and this is a rat truck, i done welded the mount in place.



And then i gave it a switch.



And now it works like a champ. Sturdy, metal, bright and Low power with 360 degrees of rotation. Made with parts from the basement. Biggity.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm pretty impressed. That kind of makes me jealous of Allison. But then I look at the cell-phone-camera picture that Nick just sent me of the bed that he whipped together without plans Thursday night, and I'm pretty impressed by him too. Seriously, though, your lamp rocks -- that's way better than my dome-light.

amateur.sophist said...

I had a mild fantasy of building a big industrial bed out of 2" black pipe but never got around to it.

I found my inspiration here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pipe-Dream-Bed/

and here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Aluminum-Pipe-Bed/

Knowing what i know now, i would probably weld it for added awesome.

Notorious said...

Your weld is oddly reminicent of the stuff I spend days grinding off my jeep. You have not respect for the restorer of your truck 40 years from now.