Monday, August 04, 2008

Ladder Redux

In the before time, Notorious introduced us to Ladder theory. I admit, i didn't pay it much attention the first time, but now that I've been brought back to the theory, reintroduced to Notorious' love for this science, and had several car-ride hours to ponder it's validity, I've decided to revisit the concept: I should have realized why it never took hold.


(to make my arguments more believable, please site my stolen internet pictures)

I'm pretty sure Ladder Theory is mostly bunk. It's like saying you need to head north but to what destination... I'm not sure. In fact, I'm not even sure what purpose it is trying to serve because It provides no answers!

--I guess we're meant to realize that people rate potential mates and rank them accordingly... Fair enough. But then what? Why do these rankings have to suffer a First-In-First-Out linear existence? (more on this in a moment)

--Why would women get two ladders? It seems arbitrary... why not one that is connected or an infinite number that vary in weight and severity?

--How the hell do you use it? Just because I know F=MA, how will i know that shaving 100lbs out of the Fiat will make it go faster? How can I determine where those 100lbs can be lost?

--Lastly, Ladder theory provides a false sense of understanding that will more than likely undermined your goals. Man or woman, armed with this new tool, you've either convinced yourself you're stuck on the un-bang-able rung and abandoned all hope or placed yourself squarely on the ready-to-rock bang-tastic position before carrying out the degree of execution such a scenario would require. Either way you've stacked the cards against yourself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this buzz is wearing off and using ladder theory for anything other than drunken debate is like giving a monkey Newton's second law of motion and expecting him/her to pilot a successful space program. Perhaps as a simple law i could buy in but the point that is conveniently skirted is the random nature of human interaction. It's impossible to predict the varying conditions that might alter a person's reaction to another. Booze, drugs, funny t-shirts, history, love, marriage, obligation, head injury, chemical imbalance, gravitational pull, solar flares and magnet influences are in constant flux and simply identifying a universal constant such as "we rate" will not get the variables out of the denominator.

Of course if we concede that ladder theory is analogous to Newton's which-ever law of motion then one might be looking for the text equivalent of, say, Applied Newtonian Physics. I'd suggest it lies somewhere between Niel Strauss' "The Game" and/or "How to Pick Up Trashy Women," which incidentally exists only in a 1985 John Cusack flick; I'll let you all decide which is most applicable.

What's my point?

1) Math is to physics as masturbation is to sex
2) In the hierarchy of life, there's always a customer whose drinkers you're supposed to buy and a supplier who is willing to buy your drinks
3) I'm just a guy in an Ohio motel room with free internet and too much 5 hour energy



By denying you comments i am ensuring all of your opinions are wrong, especially if you agree with me.