"I am more convinced than ever that we should all be prepared for the inevitable collapse of society." There no way to say that sentence without people looking at you oddly. It's not something you can talk about at work. Your family will not engage you in this conversation at Xmas. There's really no reason to think about it very much.
oh well, i'm sure everything will be fine. No need to buy a gun and leave the major urban areas.
Everyone should read "The end of Oil" by Paul Roberts. I also recommend "Crossing the Rubicon" by Michael C. Ruppert.
If you're really into it, try The Long Emergency, Blood and Oil, The Geography of Nowhere... there are other.
Soon i will send those of you on the list a DVD copy of "The end of Suburbia," but it may take some time to get those out. I'll also include some absurd animation that will help take the edge off the other material, and hopefully you'll want to kill yourself less.
4 comments:
Society has been on the verge of collapse for roughly 2000 years now. Somehow we just keep on keeping on. Bird flu excluded, I see no reason to panic.
Wildman... I agree, there is not reason to panic... now is the time to plan and prepare. We are on the verge of a new dark ages.
unpleasant is a nice way of putting it.
And he's right. Our economic societies have always in the past been fractured. What are you going to do if (when), say, China runs out of oil? You didn't need 30% of all your goods and wares anyway. Or perhaps China will decide that their 1.3 trillion people deserve middle eastern oil more than you do?
Either way, i'm not panicked. It's just funny to me that everyone assumes it can never happen, based on some sense of status quo serenity or maybe in the absence of critical thinking. Which is kind of perpetuating the inpending breakdown, for by refusing to acknowledge the problem, one intrinsicly refuses to work towards a solution.
learn to swim
I think that is the deuce. Individual societies collapse. Maybe its the US, maybe its China. And as far as China, force or no force, they already get more middle eastern oil than we do. If you are going to worry, worry about your canadian bacon eating neighbors to the north (east for those in Detroit).
I think there is a large recognition of the problem by some, and slowy people are learning. Some just may argue we are moving to slow or not recognizing enough.
Post a Comment