Friday, October 07, 2005

again, from the top

I'm sitting at my desk listening to two co-workers talk about Phil Collins and Elton John. (I don't have outside internet access, so i'll type this up and post it later). These guys in the Cubes next to me can't be much more than few years older that I am, but they're both married and at least one has kids. They've come to the agreement that Phil Collins is just great, but the Indian guy can't convince the White guy that Elton John is equally good. He's Siting examples such as Benny and the Jets that should prove Mr. John has a beautiful voice. Meanwhile, the white guy is using counter example's of the bigger hits like Candle in the Wind and Daniel's Song, saying that even those songs, although moving, cannot make up for what he considers to be an "unlikable" voice.

In the time it has taken me to type the above paragraph, the conversation has shifted to one guy telling the other guy how great the movie "My Best Friend's Wedding" is. The second guy hasn't seen it, but in an attempt to demonstrate his recognition of the topic, has started listing other Julia Roberts movies that he HAS in fact seen.

I'm gonna go see the Omelet Chef and drown reality in fried omelet goodness.


Update: Several Hours later... Cube partner to the other side is talking to some chick on the phone. I know, because when a guy is talking to a chick, and trying a little to hard, you can tell. In fact, his "guy-ness" signal is turned up so high, i can nary resist the urge to punch him in the face. Anyway, he keeps talking about how he can't be any fun when "she's around" and he can't be himself or he gets into trouble. I can only assume he's talking about his wife. In the time it has taken to type THIS paragraph, the conversation has shifted to how long it will take until the girl on the other end of the line finds a new boyfriend. Thankfully, something of extreme inappropriateness has come up and now he speaks in a hushed whisper, and i am free to fantasize about sailing boats.

"I'm smiling all the time. that doesn't mean a goddamned thing except i think people who go around solemn faced and quoting the bible are full of shit"
-Former Detroit Mayor, Coleman Young

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you dont get outside internet at work? how do you survive?

Anonymous said...

I vote for Phil Collins!!!!

Just kidding... I really root for Elton John.