Monday, September 12, 2005

weekend round up

I'd love to comment on the New Orleans Situation, but my bad chemicals are too high as it is. That said, i just finished "Breakfast of Champions," which is in my opinion, Vonnegut's best work. Which means a lot, i think.

The most interesting event of this, a very action packed weekend, occurred at the annual Pig Roast (actually at breakfast the morning after) One of the attendees had brought a lady friend that he met on the internet. They were both pushing middle age and she was a blind Mennonite with a seeing eye dog. After over-hearing some very strange conversation, we were clued into the fact that this women lived all her life in a religious isolation (compounded by the fact that she was nearly blind and had the outside world described to her through a overly oppressive religious filter.) Fed up with the Funk, she decided to free herself and explore the real world. And we all know the real word starts at the internets! (insert "BLIZOW" internet sound effect here)

This dude comes along and somehow she travels from her home state of where-ever to good ol' high-five to the face michigan. This breakfast was her first experience with: bacon, Mountain Dew (which i know i wish i'd never met), the saying "B.S." (and it's accompanying phrase "bull shit"), a description of what a pig looks like and pretty much every second word uttered of mine and my posse's mouth. It was crazy. And the whole time, this helpful dude she's with is explaining the ways of the world; but try to imagine explaining what a pig looks like, and then immediately going into the reason men are called pigs, followed up by a brief analogy of how men like to fix up machines (so they'll be shiny and can be shown off) and women like to fix up men (so they'll be shiny and can be shown off) and the older you get the bigger projects you try to take on.

Eventually someone asks the obvious; Why did you leave home. And before the Mennonite can answer, the proprietor of the pig roast walks by and spouts "to get laid." Which was really funny until the Blind Middle-aged Mennonite agreed. "well that was one of the reasons..."

I think that's when i went off to shoot skeet.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy shit! Talk about mind expantion... That would be like being fully consience and able to remeber the first three years of your life... and you had Kirt and club as your parents... She has to be completely blown away!

She must be an increadably currious person... and very interesting in that she would go out from the cult... her life now is esentially the voyage of the starship enterprise on a personal basis.

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

also... You should race your car. I am building a race car out of a 79 Fiat right now. I was racing by buick... but that was more of a crowd pleaser than a true competetive entry. I got the Fiat for $500 for my niebor. It doesn't work... but I will hopefully race it this weekend. What it lacks in the body role of the buick it will hopefully make up in high speed manuverablitity.

amateur.sophist said...

Holy crap Nick- i want to race something so freakin bad i often find myself doing neutral drops on the way to the ATM. My housemate brought home a '90 miata the other day and we flogged it through the lawless streets of detroit for a couple hours... god that was fun.

But what do you mean by "going racing" and how can i become a part of this?

Anonymous said...

speaking of racing, anyone headed up for the rally this fall?

Anonymous said...

"One of the attendees had brought a lady friend that he met on the internet."

When I first read this, I thought it read "One of the attendees had bought a woman off the internet."

Eh, it's all the same.

amateur.sophist said...

I think you need to see the next post.... you've got a problem bub.

(yeah! too many ho's on my jock!)

Who are you talking too?

(what?)

what?

Anonymous said...

how can they cancell a rally? that is like cancelling christmas...

Anonymous said...

I will check with my network of automobile enthusiasts and see what there is going on in the Detroit area. I am sure ther is tones. Be awair that after you race you and your car will never be the same... You will always want to drive faster and will consider your self supiriour to all the other drivers on the road... and your car will have a bunch of new rattles and feel like it is slightly loose somewhere, but you don't really have any idea what is loose or different about how it drives... it just doesn't feel the same. At least this is my experiance.

I am afraid that the Fiat will not be racing this weekend... I am haveing trouble with fuel flow problem... ie the fuel is not flowing from the fuel tank to the carborator. Maybe I could just put a gallon can in the passenger seat with a hose to the carborator... but that seem unsafe... and probably wont pass the pre race inspection. It might be worth the shot though.

Anonymous said...

This is an organization. the SCCA... the Sports car club of america. They are the parent organization of rally racing, autocross, some wheel to wheel racing. I do autocross mostly because it is the only raceing available here. I would rather rally because it is just so pimp. the Wheel to wheel stuff take some special certification because they don't want total clowns out there on the track with them. All are good. The good thing about SCCA is that you can show up with your daly driver and tear the shit out of your car... or the track.

amateur.sophist said...

yes. i figured it had to be SCCA. (note: SCCA doesn't do off-road rally racing anymore. See Skelert's article above)

That lose feeling? that's you're suspension linkage's bushings giving up on life because they're stock and probably 15 years old. YAY RUBBER!